Daniel – 2016

Headshot of DanielThe MLitt programme was for me, a practicing attorney of 33 years, nothing so much as a kind of ‘homecoming’. It was a chance, after many years away from university, to return to serious study about serious topics at a first-rate institution. The collegiality among students and staff gave a family reunion air to the residential study weeks. St Andrews has a way of making itself a ‘second home’ for all who spend time there. Most importantly, the programme fosters a return to a kind of theocentric life, whether through the daily prayer during residential study week, in reading, reflecting and writing on God’s place in the world (and in our lives) during the individual modules, by chatting about God on the discussion boards (and occasionally in the pub) or in the deep engagement required for the dissertation. My project, on the concept of ‘equity’ as both a theological and a legal principle, changed my view of the law forever. The program as a whole did the same for my life.

– Daniel (USA)